- Donor hair can be derived from outside the mid-occipital strip
- No staples, stitches, or bandages. Wounds are so small they are self-healing
- Quick recovery
- All scabbing normally gone within 2 weeks
- You are awake through the procedure, with local anesthesia
Some of the benefits of a Follicular Unit Extraction procedure include:
- Maximum hairline design using hair from the nape of the neck
- Scarring so small that it is cosmetically acceptable
- New growth by four months
- Maximum maturity, thickness, and health of new hair by 18 months
- Freedom to style/cut the hair without the worry of revealing a linear scar
In addition to a more aesthetically pleasing appearance, these procedures also improve:
- Your confidence
- Your social life and interpersonal relationships
- Your professional life
- Your overall quality of life
CHOICE OF SURGEON DETERMINES THE QUALITY OF YOUR FUE HAIR TRANSPLANT RESULTS
Follicular unit extraction is an advanced form of hair transplant. However, there are novice practitioners in every field. FUE is not immune to this vulnerability. When selecting a surgeon, bear in mind that whom you choose to perform your transplant will determine the success or failure of the outcome. Be advised, the following things to look for in a good surgeon:
- Proper licenses and board certifications. There is currently no medical certification for performing hair transplant. Thus, a surgeon certified in dermatology, surgery, or cosmetic surgery is preferable.
- EXPERIENCE. The need for plentiful and diverse experience in becoming a top surgeon is invaluable. FUE hair transplant results in the hands of an inexperienced surgeon may be disastrous.
Photo and video documentation of prior patient results. Especially video. Photos scratch the surface in demonstrating a surgeon’s capability, but are easily manipulated to exhibit the most flattering outcome. Videos are more difficult to manipulate and should show the patient from various angles, gesturing and talking. Videos can also show the hair being touched/combed.
Knowledgeable staff, the proper equipment, and the use of handheld tools. Dependence on robotic devices is the sign of a novice practitioner—which could, again, be the demise of your FUE hair transplant results.
- Artistic vision, which should be discussed during consultation. Hairline design is extremely important, as this is the part of the hair that frames the face. A surgeon should be able to construct an aesthetically pleasing and natural-looking hairline.
FUE has developed more specialized branches. Among these include the use of body hair follicles. For example, follicular grafts taken from the facial area is now being used to treat patients who are severely bald. More information on this topic is available here.